A muscular banking sector will make or break whether Iraq is to rebuild and prosper. And while there are increasing levels of capital inflow into the region, local banking infrastructure remains limited, leaving the sector wide open for foreign investment. Courtney Fingar reports.
Iraq: The new FDI frontier
Courtney Fingar offers a guide for exploring a fascinating and fast-evolving investment destination.
Originally published with the December 2009/January 2010 issue of fDi Magazine.
Sponsored by the US government. Reporting and editing were carried out independently by fDi
Articles from this special report
Iraq is open for business and already has a number of investors singing its praises. However, those considering setting up in the country would be well advised to ditch Western conventions and embrace the Iraqi way of doing things. Courtney Fingar reports.
As the flow of international business visitors into Iraq increases, the case for developing world-class hospitality facilities is becoming ever stronger, reports Courtney Fingar.
Iraq’s FDI market is stirring and the risk premiums are coming down. But, says Courtney Fingar, the onus is now on insurance companies to keep pace.
The chairman of Iraq’s National Investment Commission explains how property law reform is allowing foreign investors to get a foothold in the country. He speaks to Courtney Fingar.
- Birmingham: let the journey begin
- Ukraine strives for stability
- Maldives makes waves
- Digital Düsseldorf
- Kaunas reaches out
- Japan's investment jolt
- Pittsburgh powers up
- Frankfurt (Oder): room for growth in Brandenburg's border city
- Cologne's cutting edge
- Jamaica's BPO boom
- Warsaw rising
- Astana on the ascent
- Lekki Free Zone's big vision
- Noord-Holland: hotbed for growth
- Peru's proposition
- Chile's new chapter
- Lublin looking to lure big business
- Sheffield City Region
- South Korea country report
- South Korea free zones
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Pittsburgh's progress
- Chengdu leads westward charge
- Tuscany takes a new turn
- Ras Al Khaimah's desert dreams turn to reality
- Morocco makes its move
- Poland rising: high ambition is matched by high growth
- Belarus beckons : Europe's final frontier opens up
- Iraq: The coming oil boom
- Tuapse's finely tuned balance
- A peak plan for the Northern Caucasus
- Ras Al Khaimah's direct route
- India's roads and highways sector
- Stockholm: Scandinavia's high-tech and green hub
- Poland: High-growth, high-value economy takes shape
- Financing the future of Iraq
- Ras Al Khaimah
- Berlin: Ready for lift-off
Most popular content
- fDi American Cities of the Future 2017/18 – New York triumphs again
- fDi’s Global Cities of the Future 2016/17 – the winners
- fDi American Cities of the Future 2017/18 – FDI Strategy winners
- The first resort: how FDI can help the Maldives to preserve its paradise
- Maldives pushes sustainability at home and abroad
Partner Event: Iraq Business News
|Get all the main Iraq business news FREE direct to your Inbox every Thursday. Up to date, short, sharp and essential reading for anyone with an interest in the Iraq business scene from O&G to Construction, Investment and Finance and much more. Join over 7000 subscribers who keep one step ahead with the IBN Newsletter – find the free subscription link top of the home page on the best business website at www.iraq-businessnews.com with expert analysis, news updated daily, a five year archive and visited by over 120,000 readers per month in 162 countries.|