- First in GDP growth, according to the US Bureau of Economic Analysis (June 2006).
- First in job growth, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (October 2006).
- First on the Federal Funds Information for States (FFIS) index of state economic momentum (State Policy Reports, 2006).
- Fastest-growing state in the US (US Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- Fourth most desirable state for corporations (Chief Executives Magazine’s poll).
New Investment focus
- Semi-conductor manufacturing
- Business services and back-office operations
- Agriculture and mining
Arizona’s fast growing population is younger than the national average. The state’s median age is 34.2 years, compared to the US’s 35.3 years. The proportion of those younger than 25, as well as those over 65, is roughly the same as in the nation as a whole.