Ireland remains a popular choice among US firms as a place to do business, according to claims in a study by Irish law firm Matheson Ormsby Prentice.

Despite the country’s economic and financial troubles, the firm’s study, compiled by Amarach Research, found that US businesses liked Ireland as an FDI destination because of its low tax regime, skilled workforce and government incentives.

Advertisement

The report surveyed 250 Irish-American business leaders in the US and found that 58% rated Ireland as a good place to do business. It stated that 32% would “likely” set up operations in the country, but there was no mention of the intentions of the remaining 68%.

Liam Quirke, managing partner at Matheson Ormsby Prentice, stated in the report that FDI was the cornerstone on which Ireland’s recovery was dependent. He was keen to emphasise that the negative reports on the country were not telling the full story.